- For brushing: eggwash
- 4 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 150 gm brown sugar
- 375 ml maple syrup
- 60 gm butter, melted
- 55 gm plain flour
- 30 ml Bourbon
- 1 tsp each ground cinnamon and finely grated nutmeg
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- Scraped seeds of 1 vanilla bean
- 150 gm pecans, coarsely chopped, plus 22 whole pecans, to decorate
Brown sugar pastry
- 150 gm plain flour (1 cup)
- 50 gm brown sugar
- 90 gm cold butter, coarsely chopped
- 1 egg yolk
- 300 ml pouring cream
- 100 ml maple syrup
- 1For brown sugar pastry, process flour, sugar and 1 tsp sea salt in a food processor until combined, add butter and process until fine crumbs form. Add yolk and process until mixture just comes together, turn onto a lightly floured surface and form into a disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate to rest (2 hours).
- 2Preheat oven to 180C. Roll out pastry to 3mm thick and line a 22cm-diameter tart tin or ring mould placed on an oven tray lined with baking paper. Trim edges, prick base with a fork then refrigerate to rest (30 minutes).
- 3Blind-bake pastry until light golden (10-12 minutes), remove paper and weights, brush with eggwash and bake until crisp and golden (6-8 minutes).
- 4Reduce oven to 160C. Whisk eggs, yolks and sugar in a bowl to combine, then whisk in maple syrup, melted butter, flour, Bourbon, spices, rind, vanilla seeds and a pinch of salt. Stir in chopped pecans then pour into pastry case. Arrange whole pecans on top and bake until golden and set (45 minutes-1 hour), then cool to room temperature.
- 5Meanwhile, for maple cream, combine ingredients in a bowl. Serve with pecan and maple pie.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Food NewsAnthea Loucas Bosha named CEO of Food and Wine VictoriaYesterday 11:16pm