- 700 gm calamari, cleaned, tentacles reserved
- 80 ml extra-virgin olive oil (½ cup)
- 10 sage leaves
- 1 Spanish onion, shaved
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small red chilli, thinly sliced
- 250 gm dried pennette
- 1Using a sharp knife cut calamari hoods into 5cm-long strips and combine with tentacles.
- 2Heat olive oil in a large frying pan, add sage and cook over medium-high heat for 2 minutes or until crisp. Remove to an absorbent paper-lined plate. Add onion and garlic to frying pan and sauté over medium-high heat for 5 minutes or until softened. Add chilli and cook for another 2 minutes, then increase heat to high, add calamari and sauté for 3 minutes or until calamari is opaque.
- 3Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until
al dente, drain and return to pan. Add squid and sage and toss to combine. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and serve immediately.