They're not the prettiest scones, but they're the best.
- 600 ml pouring cream
- 40 gm raw caster sugar, plus extra for scattering
- 450 gm self raising flour, sifted
- For brushing: milk
- To serve: <b><a href='http://www.gourmettraveller.com.au/making-jam.htm'>jam</a></b>
- To serve: crème fraîche or whipped cream
- 1Preheat oven to 190C. Whisk cream and sugar in an electric mixer to firm peaks (4-5 minutes). Stir in flour and salt until a soft dough forms, turn onto a well-floured surface, knead until smooth (2-3 minutes). Add extra flour if dough is sticky. Roll to 2cm thick on a well-floured surface, cut out rounds using a floured 5cm-diameter cutter. Place on a baking paper-lined oven tray, brush tops with milk and scatter lightly with extra sugar. Bake until risen and golden (10-15 minutes), serve warm or cold with jam and crème fraîche.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Travel NewsNew art collections and shows worth travelling forYesterday 5:58am
- Food NewsGourmet Traveller taste tests McDonald’s Wagyu Beef BurgerYesterday 12:35am