You’ll need to begin this recipe a day ahead to soak the chickpeas.
- 250 gm (1¼ cups) dried chickpeas, soaked overnight in cold water, drained
- 2 vine-ripened tomatoes, halved, seeds removed, cut into thin wedges
- 2 large purple carrots, coarsely shaved with a peeler
- Seeds from ½ pomegranate
- 1/3 cup (firmly packed) each coriander, flat-leaf parsley and dill
- 1 small Spanish onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 200 gm soft Persian feta, coarsely crumbled
- 1 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 60 ml (¼ cup) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1Combine chickpeas and enough cold water to cover generously in a saucepan (do not salt water), bring to the boil over medium heat, reduce heat to low and simmer until tender (30-40 minutes). Set aside to drain and cool.
- 2For pomegranate dressing, whisk ingredients in a small bowl to combine, season to taste and set aside.
- 3Toss chickpeas, pomegranate dressing and remaining ingredients (except feta) in a bowl to combine, season to taste, scatter with feta and serve.
This recipe is from the April 2013 issue of .
Drink Suggestion: Gutsy grenache rosé. Drink suggestion by Max Allen