This is such a tasty and easy snack or canapé to have with drinks. Sealed in a jar with oil, the prawns will keep refrigerated for a week. Start this recipe two or three days ahead to pickle the prawns.
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 kg cooked king prawns, peeled, cleaned, tails intact
- 250 ml (1 cup) white wine vinegar
- 125 ml (½ cup) lemon juice, plus ½ lemon, thinly sliced
- 1 small fennel bulb, thinly sliced on a mandolin, fronds reserved, to serve
- 1 long red chilli, split
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 250 ml (1 cup) extra-virgin olive oil (you may need a little extra)
- To serve: rye crackers and crème fraîche
- 1Crush spices with a mortar and pestle, then combine with remaining ingredients except oil in a bowl and season to taste. Transfer to a 1.5-litre sterilised glass jar, top with oil, cover and refrigerate to pickle (2-3 days).
- 2Serve prawns with rye crackers, crème fraîche, pickled fennel (from pickled prawns) and fennel fronds.
Drink Suggestion: Crisp fragrant riesling. Drink suggestion by Max Allen