This is a lovely way to showcase seasonal fruit, and winter is a great time of year for pineapple. The palm sugar tempers its tartness.
- 1 small pineapple, peeled, cored and diced (about 800gm prepared quantity)
- 16 medjool dates, pitted and quartered
- 180 gm dark palm sugar, coarsely grated or chopped
- 4 star anise
- Vanilla ice-cream, to serve
- 1Preheat oven to 180C. Place four 30cm squares of baking paper on a work surface. Top each with another square, then divide pineapple among sheets. Top with dates, sugar and star anise. Gather paper together and tie with kitchen string.
- 2Place on a tray and bake until sugar smells caramelised (35 minutes). To serve, open parcels at the table, top with scoops of ice-cream and drizzle with cooking juices.
Drink Suggestion: Intensely sweet ice wine Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Travel NewsNew art collections and shows worth travelling forYesterday 5:58am
- Food NewsGourmet Traveller taste tests McDonald’s Wagyu Beef BurgerYesterday 12:35am