You'll need to begin this recipe a day ahead.
- 2 onions, coarsely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 3 fresh bay leaves
- 2 habanero chillies, coarsely chopped, or to taste
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 1 tbsp each ground allspice, ground cinnamon and ground nutmeg
- 200 gm pineapple, coarsely chopped
- 100 ml each malt vinegar and dark rum
- 800 gm pork neck
- For barbecueing: vegetable oil
Crushed pineapple relish
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 125 ml malt vinegar (½ cup)
- 50 gm raw caster sugar
- 40 ml dark rum
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 300 gm pineapple, coarsely chopped
- ½ small Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 1 long red chilli, thinly sliced
Black bean and rice salad
- ½ Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- Juice of 2 limes, or to taste
- 200 gm dried black beans, soaked in cold water overnight, drained
- 200 gm long-grain rice (1 cup)
- 250 gm cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 baby cos, leaves coarsely torn
- 1 cup coarsely chopped coriander
- 3 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 70 ml olive oil
- 2 tbsp Sherry vinegar, or to taste
- 1For crushed pineapple relish, dry-roast coriander seeds until fragrant (1-2 minutes), crush coarsely in a mortar and pestle then combine in a saucepan with vinegar, sugar, rum, bay leaf and 100ml water. Stir over medium-high heat until sugar dissolves, bring to the boil and remove from heat. Crush pineapple coarsely in a mortar and pestle, add to rum mixture with onion and chilli and refrigerate to pickle (overnight).
- 2Meanwhile, process onion, garlic, bay leaves, chilli, thyme, spices and 1 tbsp sea salt flakes in a food processor to combine, add pineapple and process until smooth. Transfer to a non-reactive container, stir in vinegar and rum, add pork, turn to coat and refrigerate to marinate (overnight).
- 3For black bean and rice salad, combine onion, garlic and lime juice in a large bowl, season to taste. Add black beans to a large saucepan over medium-high heat and add enough cold water to cover generously. Bring to the boil and cook until beans are tender (35-40 minutes), drain, refresh, drain well and add to onion mixture. Meanwhile, cook rice in a saucepan of boiling salted water over medium-high heat until tender (8-10 minutes), drain, refresh, drain well, add to bean mixture with remaining ingredients, season to taste, toss to combine and refrigerate until required.
- 4Heat a barbecue or grill to medium-high heat. Drain pork from marinade, drizzle with a little oil, then cook, turning and basting frequently, until cooked to your liking (30-40 minutes), cover with foil and rest (10 minutes). Thickly slice and serve with crushed pineapple relish and black bean and rice salad.