You'll need to start this recipe at least a week before serving.
- 500 ml (2 cups) gin
- 10 cm piece of ginger, thinly sliced
- 3 limes, zest and juice only
- 1 small pineapple, coarsely chopped
- 6 passionfruits, pulp only
- 1 litre soda water or sparkling mineral water (4 cups)
- To taste: sugar syrup (see note)
- 1Combine gin, ginger and lime zest in a sterile jar and stand for at least 1 week (or up to 3 weeks) at room temperature.
- 2On the day of serving, process pineapple and passionfruit in a food processor until smooth, press through a fine sieve, discarding solids, and pour liquid into a jug. Add strained gin, lime juice and soda, stir to combine, add sugar syrup to taste and serve over ice.
Note For sugar syrup, boil ½ cup sugar and ½ cup water for 1 minute. Makes ¾ cup of syrup, which will keep indefinitely stored in a sterile container in the refrigerator.