Avgolemeno is a Greek-style egg and lemon sauce that is usually served with chicken or as a soup.
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 2 kg pipis, soaked in cold water to remove sandy grit
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 lemons, juice only
- To serve: lemon halves, mesclun salad and bread
- 1 cup finely chopped (loosely packed) flat-leaf parsley
- 1 lemon, finely grated rind only
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- 1For gremolata, combine all ingredients in a small bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until required.
- 2Bring onion, bay leaves and 375ml water to the boil in a casserole. Add pipis and cook, covered and stirring occasionally, over high heat until pipis just open (3-5 minutes). Remove pipis using a slotted spoon, then strain liquid through a fine sieve (discard solids) into a large saucepan, season liberally to taste and bring back to the boil.
- 3Whisk egg yolks and lemon juice in a heatproof bowl. Add a ladle of pipi liquid to combine. Gradually add back to simmering pipi liquid, whisking continuously over medium heat until frothy (2-4 minutes). Return pipis to pan, add gremolata, season to taste, toss to combine and serve immediately with extra lemon halves, mesclun salad and bread to the side.