Avgolemeno is a Greek-style egg and lemon sauce that is usually served with chicken or as a soup.
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 2 kg pipis, soaked in cold water to remove sandy grit
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 lemons, juice only
- To serve: lemon halves, mesclun salad and bread
- 1 cup finely chopped (loosely packed) flat-leaf parsley
- 1 lemon, finely grated rind only
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- 1For gremolata, combine all ingredients in a small bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until required.
- 2Bring onion, bay leaves and 375ml water to the boil in a casserole. Add pipis and cook, covered and stirring occasionally, over high heat until pipis just open (3-5 minutes). Remove pipis using a slotted spoon, then strain liquid through a fine sieve (discard solids) into a large saucepan, season liberally to taste and bring back to the boil.
- 3Whisk egg yolks and lemon juice in a heatproof bowl. Add a ladle of pipi liquid to combine. Gradually add back to simmering pipi liquid, whisking continuously over medium heat until frothy (2-4 minutes). Return pipis to pan, add gremolata, season to taste, toss to combine and serve immediately with extra lemon halves, mesclun salad and bread to the side.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm