- 220 gm soft butter
- 250 gm raw caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 lemon rind, finely grated
- ½ tsp saffron threads moistened in 50ml warm milk
- 265 gm sheeps’ milk or thick natural yoghurt (1 cup)
- 125 gm pistachios, finely ground
- 100 gm plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 55 gm sheeps’ milk yoghurt
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 155 gm pure icing sugar
- 1Preheat oven to 160C. Using an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well to combine, then add lemon rind, saffron and milk and beat to combine. Add yoghurt, pistachios, flour and baking powder and fold to combine. Spoon into a buttered and base-lined 28cm fluted tart pan and bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden and centre springs back when lightly pressed. Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then remove from pan and cool on a wire rack placed over a tray.
- 2Meanwhile for yoghurt glaze, combine yoghurt and lemon juice in a small bowl and mix until smooth, sieve over icing sugar and mix to combine, adding a little water if necessary to reach a drizzling consistency. Pour over cake while still warm, allowing to drip over sides. Scatter with pistachio slivers and serve warm or at room temperature.
Drink Suggestion: Sweet moscatel. Drink suggestion by Max Allen