- 2 375gm sheets butter puff pastry (see note)
- 200 gm fresh dates, such as medjool, pitted, halved
- For brushing: eggwash
- 200 gm softened butter
- 200 gm caster sugar
- 200 gm almond meal
- 4 eggs
- 35 gm plain flour (¼ cup)
- 500 ml milk (2 cups)
- ½ vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped
- 125 gm caster sugar
- 5 egg yolks
- 1For frangipane, beat butter and sugar in an electric mixer until pale and fluffy, add almond meal, mix to combine, add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition, add flour and mix until smooth. Refrigerate until set (20-30 minutes).
- 2For sauce anglaise, bring milk and vanilla bean to the simmer in a saucepan over medium heat. Meanwhile, whisk sugar and yolks in a bowl until pale and fluffy, then gradually add milk mixture, whisking continuously to combine. Return to a clean saucepan and stir continuously over low heat until mixture coats a spoon thickly (10-12 minutes). Remove from heat, strain through a sieve into a bowl placed over iced water and stir occasionally until chilled (10-15 minutes), then refrigerate until required.
- 3Preheat oven to 180C. Cut one sheet of pastry into a 25cm-diameter circle and place on a baking tray. Spread frangipane 2cm thick over pastry, leaving a 2cm border, then top with dates. Roll out remaining sheet of pastry on a lightly floured sheet of baking paper, cut out a 28cm-diameter circle, brush edges with eggwash, lay over frangipane and gently press edges to seal. Refrigerate to rest (1 hour). Lightly brush top with eggwash, pierce hole in centre, score with a small sharp knife in the shape of a pinwheel and bake until puffed, golden and crisp (30-35 minutes). Set aside to firm slightly (5 minutes). Cut into wedges and serve hot with sauce anglaise.
we use Carême puff pastry, which comes in pre-rolled 375gm sheets. If it's unavailable, substitute another good-quality butter puff pastry or make your own using our
This recipe is from the July 2012 issue of
Drink Suggestion: 2005 Le Tertre du Lys d'Or Sauternes, Bordeaux, France. Drink suggestion by Edouard & Nathalie Reymond
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Food NewsThe restaurant kitchens that are going plastic-freeYesterday 3:00am