- 3 large green plantains (see note), ends trimmed (600 gm)
- 1Make several incisions in the skin of each plaintain. Place in a bowl, cover with very hot water and stand for 10 minutes to loosen the skin. Drain, peel and cut into 8cm round slices.
- 2Heat oil in a deep saucepan or deep-fryer to 180C. Deep-fry plantains in batches for 3-5 minutes or until tender and golden. Drain on absorbent paper and set the oil aside.
- 3While the plantain slices are still warm, place on a tray in a single layer, cover with a damp tea towel and smash each with the heel of your hand to flatten. Reheat oil to 180C and cook the slices in batches over medium heat until golden brown. Drain on absorbent paper, season with sea salt and serve immediately.
Plantains are in the same family as bananas, available from Asian grocery stores. Serve as a snack with
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- DestinationsMade in India: the designers and makers of BengaluruYesterday 4:59am