- 180 gm plain flour
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 180 ml beer, at room temperature (lager or wheat beer ideally)
- 60 gm unsalted butter, melted
- 4 medium plums, halved and stones removed
- 600 ml milk
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthways
- 140 gm caster sugar
- 120 gm plain flour
- 60 gm butter, diced
- 90 gm egg yolk (about 5 yolks)
- 1For vanilla custard, bring milk, vanilla bean and 40gm of sugar to the boil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Place flour, butter and remaining sugar in a bowl and, using fingertips, rub mixture together until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Whisk in milk mixture until smooth, return to pan and continue stirring mixture over low-medium heat until thick and flour cooks out (5-6 minutes). Remove from heat, discard vanilla bean, then whisk in yolks, cover directly with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold.
- 2Heat vegetable oil in a large deep saucepan or deep-fryer to 170C. In a large bowl combine flour and sugar, make a well in centre, add yolks and beer and whisk to combine, then stir in butter. In a separate bowl whisk eggwhites to soft peaks and gently fold into batter.
- 3Mould custard around each plum half, dip into batter and deep-fry in batches, turning occasionally, until golden brown (3-4 minutes; be careful, hot oil will spit). Drain on absorbent paper and serve hot dusted with icing sugar.
Drink Suggestion: Sweet wine made from dried grapes, such a passito. Drink suggestion by Max Allen