- 4 carrots, peeled
- 1 bunch celery
- 1 leek, halved and rinsed
- 1.6 kg free-range chicken
- 4 sprigs parsley
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp black peppercorns
Rosemary and anchovy sauce
- 2 tsp rosemary leaves
- 110 gm anchovy fillet, drained and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 60 ml extra-virgin olive oil (¼ cup)
- 2 tsp tiny salted capers, rinsed
- 1Coarsely chop 3 carrots, 5 stalks of celery and leek and combine in a large pot with chicken, parsley stalks, bay leaves and peppercorns. Add enough cold water to cover, season to taste with sea salt and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low, simmer for 40 minutes, remove pot from heat and stand chicken in poaching liquid for 20 minutes.
- 2For rosemary and anchovy sauce, place rosemary into a mortar and, using a pestle, pound to bruise. Add anchovies and pound until smooth, stir in lemon juice, then add olive oil, a little at a time, whisking until combined. Stir through capers and season with freshly ground black pepper.
- 3Remove remaining outer stalks of celery and trim base. Thinly shave celery heart lengthways on a mandolin. Thinly shave remaining carrots lengthways on a mandolin and combine with celery in a large bowl, season to taste and drizzle with olive oil.
- 4Cut chicken into pieces and serve with rosemary and anchovy sauce and celery heart and carrot salad.