You can make the cornbread several days in advance.
- 30 ml olive oil
- 450 gm corn kernels (from about 3 cobs)
- 3 bacon rashers, cut into batons
- ½ Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- For poaching: white vinegar
- 6 eggs
- 170 gm (1 cup) corn kernels (from about 1 large cob)
- 225 gm (1½ cups) plain flour
- 190 gm (1½ cups) fine polenta
- 125 gm cheddar, coarsely grated
- 3 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 lemon, finely grated rind only
- 310 ml (1¼ cups) buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 60 gm butter, melted
Green tomato relish
- ¼ small Spanish onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 green tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1For cornbread, preheat oven to 180C. Cook corn in boiling salted water until tender (10-12 minutes), drain, set aside to cool.Combine flour, polenta, cheese, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, lemon rind, corn and 2 tsp sea salt in a bowl, stir to combine. Add buttermilk, eggs and butter, stir to combine, then spoon into an 8cm x 23cm loaf tin, greased and lined with baking paper, to 1cm below rim (there may be mixture left over). Smooth top, bake until golden and firm when pressed (45-50 minutes), cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out and cool on a wire rack. Just before serving, cut into thick slices and toast under a preheated grill until golden (1-2 minutes each side). Cornbread will keep, wrapped in plastic wrap, for 3 days.
- 2Meanwhile, for green tomato relish, combine onion, lemon juice and garlic in a small bowl and stand until onion turns pink (5-6 minutes). Stir in tomato and olive oil, season to taste, set aside.
- 3Heat oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat, add corn, bacon and onion, sauté until corn and onion are tender and bacon is golden (5-6 minutes), season to taste, keep warm.
- 4Meanwhile, bring a saucepan of water to a simmer over medium heat, reduce heat to low, add a splash of vinegar. Crack eggs, in batches, into water and cook to your liking (5-6 minutes for soft-poached), remove with a slotted spoon and blot dry on absorbent paper. Serve warm with toasted cornbread, corn and bacon hash and green tomato relish.
Drink Suggestion: Champagne and orange juice. Drink suggestion by Max Allen