This is a fine example of a simple seasonal salad that makes the most of the best vegetables around, with poached leeks and crisp radish.
- 3 leeks, trimmed
- To taste: lemon juice
- 370 gm radish (about 20), trimmed
- 1 cup (loosely-packed) lovage or celery leaves
- 150 gm firm goat’s cheese, crumbled
- 100 gm (1 cup) walnut halves, toasted
- 2 tbsp walnut oil
- 1 tbsp each white wine vinegar, canola oil, Dijon mustard and finely chopped chives
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1Preheat oven to 150C. Halve leeks lengthways, then crossways and place in a single layer in a deep baking dish, cover with water then season to taste with sea salt and lemon juice. Cover with foil and bake until leeks are tender (35-40 minutes).
- 2For vinaigrette, combine all ingredients in a jar, seal and shake vigorously until emulsified, and season to taste.
- 3Drain leeks from poaching liquid, arrange on serving plates with radish and celery leaves, drizzle with vinaigrette, scatter with cheese and walnuts and serve.
Drink Suggestion: Touraine sauvignon. Drink suggestion by Max Allen