- 1 head baby fennel
- 2 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- 60 ml dry white wine (¼ cup)
- 60 ml verjuice (¼ cup)
- 400 gm piece ocean trout fillet, skinned and pin-boned
- 1 orange, finely grated rind only
- 1 tbsp orange juice
- 1½ tbsp red wine vinegar
- 60 ml extra-virgin olive oil (¼ cup)
- ½ cup coarsely torn mint leaves
- 2 golden shallots, thinly sliced
- To serve: sourdough baguette
- 1Trim fennel, reserving fronds and trimmings, then finely shave fennel lengthways using a mandolin and place in iced water.
- 2Combine fennel trimmings, celery, wine and verjuice in a deep-sided frying pan, add trout and cover with cold water. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and bring to a simmer over low heat. Remove from heat and stand until cold, then drain trout, break into large flakes and place in a bowl.
- 3Add rind, juice, vinegar, olive oil, mint and shallot to trout and combine. Add drained shaved fennel, toss to combine and season to taste. Serve with sourdough baguette.