- 1 head baby fennel
- 2 stalks celery, coarsely chopped
- 60 ml dry white wine (¼ cup)
- 60 ml verjuice (¼ cup)
- 400 gm piece ocean trout fillet, skinned and pin-boned
- 1 orange, finely grated rind only
- 1 tbsp orange juice
- 1½ tbsp red wine vinegar
- 60 ml extra-virgin olive oil (¼ cup)
- ½ cup coarsely torn mint leaves
- 2 golden shallots, thinly sliced
- To serve: sourdough baguette
- 1Trim fennel, reserving fronds and trimmings, then finely shave fennel lengthways using a mandolin and place in iced water.
- 2Combine fennel trimmings, celery, wine and verjuice in a deep-sided frying pan, add trout and cover with cold water. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and bring to a simmer over low heat. Remove from heat and stand until cold, then drain trout, break into large flakes and place in a bowl.
- 3Add rind, juice, vinegar, olive oil, mint and shallot to trout and combine. Add drained shaved fennel, toss to combine and season to taste. Serve with sourdough baguette.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Travel NewsNew art collections and shows worth travelling forYesterday 5:58am
- Food NewsGourmet Traveller taste tests McDonald’s Wagyu Beef BurgerYesterday 12:35am