- 1 kg live yabbies (see note), chilled for 1 hour
- ½ cup coarsely chopped coriander (firmly packed)
- ¼ tsp coriander seeds, finely ground
- ¼ tsp white peppercorns, finely ground
- ¼ tsp finely grated orange rind
- 60 ml orange juice (¼ cup)
- 125 ml sugarcane juice (see note) (½ cup)
- 1 tbsp sugarcane vinegar (see note)
- 1½ tbsp dendê oil (see note)
- 1For sugarcane and coriander vinegar, combine ingredients in a bowl, whisk to emulsify and set aside to infuse for 30 minutes.
- 2Bring 4 litres of well-salted water to the boil in a large saucepan, add yabbies and boil until they change colour (2-3 minutes). Drain and cool for 5 minutes, then serve with sugarcane and coriander vinegar.
Yabbies need to be ordered ahead from a fishmonger. If they're unavailable, substitute large prawns. Sugarcane juice, sugarcane vinegar and dendê oil (also known as palm oil) are available from Latin American grocers. If sugarcane juice is unavailable, substitute a light sugar syrup (2 parts water to 1 part sugar). If sugarcane vinegar is unavailable, substitute white vinegar or coconut vinegar.