This is a version of the Hungarian beigli. Traditionally two versions are cooked - the other is stuffed with a walnut filling.
- 600 gm plain flour
- 250 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 10 gm dried yeast
- Finely grated rind of 2 lemons
- 100 gm sour cream
- 90 ml lukewarm milk
- 1 egg yolk
- For brushing: eggwash
- For dusting: pure icing sugar, sieved
- 185 gm blue poppy seeds (see note)
- 160 ml (2/3 cup) milk
- 110 gm (½ cup) raw caster sugar
- 100 gm pitted prunes, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp cherry or blackcurrant jam
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Finely grated rind of 1 orange and 1 lemon
- 1Process flour, butter, yeast and rind in a food processor until fine crumbs form. Add sour cream, milk and yolk, pulse until a soft dough forms (1-2 minutes), then turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead until very smooth (1-2 minutes). Place in a lightly buttered bowl, cover and stand until slightly risen (30 minutes). Knock down dough, knead on a lightly floured surface and stand until slightly risen (30 minutes).
- 2Meanwhile, for poppy-seed filling, process poppy seeds in a small food processor or coffee grinder to grind, transfer to a saucepan and add remaining ingredients. Stir continuously over medium-high heat until boiling, reduce heat to medium and simmer, stirring continuously, until thick and smooth (12-15 minutes). Cool completely.
- 3Preheat oven to 220C. Divide dough into two, and roll out each piece on a lightly floured surface into a 20cm x 30cm rectangle. Spread half the poppy-seed filling over each piece leaving a 3cm-border, then, with shortest side facing you, roll into a cylinder. Place each cylinder, seam-side down, on a baking tray lined with baking paper, brush with eggwash, stand until risen (1 hour). Bake for 10 minutes, reduce oven to 180C and bake until golden and cooked through (15-20 minutes). Serve warm or cool, dusted with icing sugar. Scrolls will keep, stored in an airtight container, for 2 weeks.
Note Blue poppy seeds are available from select delicatessens. If unavailable, substitute regular poppy seeds.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm