- 16 5mm-thick slices of sourdough bread
- 160 gm Taleggio, cut into 8 pieces
- For shallow-frying: olive oil
- 20 gm dried porcini, soaked for 20 minutes
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp finely chopped thyme
- 1For porcini salsa, strain porcini, reserving liquid, and finely chop. Heat oil in a frying pan, add shallots and garlic and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until soft. Add porcini and cook for 1 minute, then add ½ cup of strained reserved liquid, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until liquid has absorbed. Add thyme and season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Makes ½ cup.
- 2Using a 7cm-diameter cutter, cut a round from each slice of bread. Spread half
of the rounds with salsa, top with Taleggio and sandwich with remaining rounds, pressing down lightly.
- 3Heat oil in a frying pan and cook sandwiches for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden. Drain on absorbent paper and serve.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesBeef koftas with green couscous and pistachio nutsYesterday 12:00am