This could be the ultimate beer snack. The key is to dry the skin thoroughly in the oven so it puffs when it's fried.
- 750 gm pork skin
- For deep-frying: vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp sea salt flakes
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- Finely grated rind of 1 lime
- ½ tsp finely chopped dried chipotle chilli (see note)
- 1Trim fat from underside of pork skin (discard fat), then cut skin into 5cm pieces. Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil over high heat, add pork skin, reduce heat to low and simmer until tender (25 minutes). Drain skin and dry on absorbent paper.
- 2Preheat oven to 140C. Place pork skin in a single layer on an oven tray lined with baking paper and bake until dry (1 hour).
- 3Meanwhile, for spicy salt, finely grind ingredients in a mortar and pestle and set aside.
- 4Heat vegetable oil in a large deep saucepan or deep-fryer to 180C. Deep-fry skin in batches, turning occasionally, until puffed and crisp (1-2 minutes; be careful as hot oil will spit). Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on absorbent paper until cool (2-3 minutes). Serve scattered with spicy salt.
Note Whole dried chipotle chillies are available from Mexican and South American grocers and from Herbie's Spices.