Potato salad can be the starting point to which other ingredients are added to become a meal, as well as a side dish. Waxy potatoes, such as the kipflers used here, are best because they hold their shape and texture.
- 500 gm kipfler potatoes, scrubbed
- 2 baby fennel bulbs
- 1 Spanish onion
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley (loosely packed)
- 1 radicchio, washed and coarsely torn
- 1 egg yolk
- 200 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 octopus (about 1kg), cleaned
- 1 lemon, coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp each fennel seeds and coriander seeds
- 3 fresh bay leaves
- 1For braised octopus, combine octopus and remaining ingredients in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil over high heat, reduce heat to low, cover, simmer until tender (25-30 minutes). Drain octopus, reserving 50ml braising liquid, and cool to room temperature, then cut into 5cm pieces.
- 2Meanwhile, place potatoes in a saucepan, cover with salted water and bring to the boil over high heat, reduce heat to medium, simmer until tender (8-10 minutes). Drain and, when cool enough to handle, cut into 5cm pieces.
- 3Thinly shave fennel and onion on a mandolin and combine in a bowl with parsley, radicchio, potato and octopus. Whisk reserved braising liquid and egg yolk in a bowl until pale and frothy. Whisk in extra-virgin olive oil in a thin stream until combined and season to taste. Drizzle over salad, toss to combine and serve.