This flavour combination gives the tastebuds a workout - could it be the new Smiths flavour?
- 560 gm sebago potatoes
- For deep-frying: canola oil
Chilli and coriander salt
- 1 dried long red chilli, coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp finely chopped coriander
- 2 tbsp sea salt flakes
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1For chilli and coriander salt, place chilli in a small saucepan, stir over low heat until fragrant (1-2 minutes). Pound in a mortar and pestle until coarsely crushed. Stir through remaining ingredients and set aside.
- 2Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large deep-sided saucepan to 160C. Thinly slice potatoes on a mandolin, place in a large bowl of cold water, set aside for 30 minutes, then drain and pat dry with a tea towel. Deep-fry potatoes in batches, stirring frequently until golden (4-5 minutes). Drain on absorbent paper, scatter with chilli and coriander salt and toss to combine. Serve with a cold beer. Potato crisps will keep, stored in an airtight container, for 2-3 days.