Bacon and egg is one of the perfect flavour marriages. Here they're turned into a tasty vinaigrette, where the bacon fat adds a certain something to this super-simple spud salad.
- 500 gm chat potatoes, unpeeled, halved
- 3 waxy potatoes, such as Desiree, thickly sliced
- ½ small Spanish onion, thinly sliced
- 90 ml red wine vinegar
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 80 ml olive oil (1/3 cup)
- 140 gm speck, cut into lardons
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- To serve: coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1Combine chat potatoes in a saucepan with enough cold salted water to cover generously, bring to the boil over medium-high heat and cook until tender when pierced with a skewer or sharp knife (15-20 minutes), then drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- 2Combine Desiree potatoes in a separate saucepan with enough cold salted water to cover generously, bring to the boil over medium-high heat and cook until tender when pierced with a skewer or the tip of a sharp knife (10-15 minutes), drain and add to chat potatoes. Add onion, drizzle with 2 tbsp vinegar, season to taste and set aside to cool.
- 3Meanwhile, cook eggs in a saucepan of boiling water until cooked to your liking (7-8 minutes for medium yolks), drain, cool under cold running water, then peel and set aside. Coarsely crumble half the egg (reserve remainder) into the potato mixture and set aside.
- 4Heat oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat, add speck and fry until crisp (4-5 minutes), then stir in garlic, remove from heat and set aside. Once cool, stir in remaining vinegar, crumble in remaining egg, add to potatoes and toss to combine. Scatter with parsley and serve.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm