- 250 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 1 golden shallot, finely chopped
- Finely grated rind of 2 lemons
- ½ tsp dried chilli flakes
- 500 gm small uncooked prawns, peeled, cleaned, halved lengthways
- To serve: toasted sourdough baguette and lemon wedges
- 6 golden shallots, thinly sliced on a mandolin
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 60 ml white wine vinegar (¼ cup)
- 1Combine butter, shallot, lemon rind and chilli in a saucepan and stir over low heat until butter melts (2-3 minutes). Add prawns, season to taste and stir occasionally until prawns turn just opaque (2-3 minutes). Remove prawns with a slotted spoon and transfer to a shallow 500ml bowl, pressing so prawns are level, then pour over enough butter mixture to cover completely. Refrigerate until chilled and firm (2-3 hours).
- 2Meanwhile, for pickled shallots, combine shallot, sugar and a large pinch of sea salt in a non-reactive bowl and stand until tender (1 hour). Add vinegar, season with freshly ground black pepper.
- 3Serve potted prawns on toasted sourdough with lemon wedges to squeeze over and pickled shallots to the side.
Drink Suggestion: Crisp, lemony blanc de blancs sparkling wine. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- ExplainersHow to make fresh pasta (it's easier than you think)Yesterday 3:00am