This simple recipe produces a deceptively light, crumbly biscuit ideal with a cup of tea or coffee.
- 230 gm unsalted butter, coarsely chopped and softened (1 cup)
- 110 gm white sugar (½ cup)
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ tsp finely grated lemon rind
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 300 gm plain flour (2 cups)
- To serve: icing sugar
- 1Beat butter until pale and fluffy, then stir through sugar, egg yolk and lemon rind. Sift together cinnamon and flour, stir into mixture and gently knead until smooth.
- 2Preheat oven to 180C. Roll 2 tsp of dough into balls and place on baking paper-lined oven trays and bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden. Cool on a wire rack and dust heavily with icing sugar. Biscuits will keep in an airtight container for 3 days.