This sour-salty curry is also great served at room temperature or even cold (but not refrigerated).
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (see note) or peanut oil
- 3 golden shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 6 large green chillies, halved lengthways
- 8 curry leaves
- 2 small green mangoes, cheeks removed, peeled and thinly sliced
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp each of ground chilli and ground turmeric
- 400 ml coconut cream
- 50 gm pea eggplants (see note)
- 60 ml fish sauce, or to taste (¼ cup)
- 24 medium green prawns, peeled, tails intact and intestinal tracts removed
- coriander sprigs and steamed rice, To serve
- 1Heat oil in a heavy-based saucepan over medium heat, add shallot, garlic, green chilli and curry leaves and cook for 5-10 minutes or until shallot is soft and mixture is fragrant. Add mango and coconut milk, bring to the boil, then add spices and simmer for 5-10 minutes or until mango is just tender.
- 2Add coconut cream, eggplants and fish sauce and simmer for 2-3 minutes, then add prawns and cook for another 2-3 minutes or until prawns are just pink. Adjust seasoning, adding more fish sauce if necessary, stir in coriander and serve with steamed rice.
Coconut oil and pea eggplants are available from Asian grocery stores.