- 2 iceberg lettuce, outer leaves removed, inner leaves separated
- 2 kg cooked medium prawns, cleaned, tails intact
- To serve: Thai basil, mint and coriander
Shallot and chilli jam
- 300 gm red shallots (about 15), coarsely chopped
- 8 long red chillies, coarsely chopped
- 4 small red chillies, coarsely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 80 ml vegetable oil (1/3 cup)
- 100 gm light palm sugar, crushed
- 100 ml fish sauce
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1For shallot and chilli jam, finely process shallot, chilli, garlic and oil in a food processor, transfer to a saucepan and cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until caramelised (40-45 minutes). Add sugar and fish sauce, stir until sugar dissolves, then stir occasionally until jammy (1-3 minutes). Stir in lime juice, remove from heat and transfer to a sterilised container. Cool to room temperature and refrigerate until required. Makes about 1¼ cups. Jam will keep refrigerated for a month.
- 2Meanwhile, trim lettuce leaves into cups, place in iced water to crisp (20 minutes), then drain well. Arrange lettuce cups, prawns and herbs on a platter and serve with shallot and chilli jam.