You'll need to start this recipe at least a day ahead.
- 4 1.8kg ducks
- 3 golden shallots, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 bunch of chervil, leaves picked
- 1 bunch of chives
- ¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp freshly ground white pepper
- 1Preheat oven to 180C. Season skin and cavity of ducks with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper and place on a rack inside a roasting pan. Using a skewer, prick duck breasts all over. Roast for 1 hour, then reduce heat to 150C and cook for 1½ hours or until flesh is tender. Stand for 20 minutes. Combine shallot and vinegar and stand for 30 minutes.
- 2Remove duck skin and refrigerate. Using fingers, remove flesh and coarsely shred, combine with shallot mixture and remaining ingredients and season to taste.
- 3Line a 10cm x 25cm loaf tin with a piece of plastic wrap with some overhang. Spoon mixture into tin, press firmly and fold over extra plastic wrap to cover. Place a piece of thick cardboard on top, weigh down with food cans and refrigerate overnight.
- 4Preheat oven to 180C. Thinly slice duck skin and scatter in a single layer over an oven tray and roast for 10 minutes or until crisp.
- 5To serve, turn out pressed duck, remove plastic wrap, slice and serve with crackling.
Drink Suggestion: The best, most succulent pinot noir you can afford. Drink suggestion by Max Allen