- 1 qty <a href="http://www.gourmettraveller.com.au/pizza-dough.htm">pizza dough</a>
- 200 gm cherry tomatoes, crushed
- 3 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 200 gm fior di latte or buffalo mozzarella, coarsely torn
- 12 thin slices of prosciutto
- 4 eggs (see note)
- To drizzle: extra-virgin olive oil
- To serve: torn flat-leaf parsley
- 1On a lightly floured work surface roll out a quarter of the dough to a 25cm round. Scatter with a quarter of the tomato, garlic and cheese, then arrange a quarter of the prosciutto on top. Cook on a preheated pizza stone (see note) or heavy oven tray at 250C for 7 minutes, then break an egg onto centre of pizza and cook for 3 minutes or until egg is just cooked and pizza is golden. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, drizzle with oil, scatter with parsley and serve immediately.
Note Using a fresh egg will ensure it holds its shape. Test its freshness by placing the egg in a glass of water; if it floats it's not fresh. Pizza stones, which ensure crisp-based pizza, are available from Italian delicatessens and food stores.
This recipe is from the May 2006 issue of Australian Gourmet Traveller.