This pancake is baked rather than cooked on the stovetop. The cold batter is poured into hot fat, much like Yorkshire pudding, and puffs up to a fluffy texture. If you don't want to make ice-cream, serve store-bought vanilla ice-cream scattered with malt powder.
- 20 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 3 eggs
- 185 ml milk (¾ cup)
- 90 gm plain flour
- 20 gm hazelnut meal
- 3 tsp caster sugar
- ½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- For dusting: icing sugar
- To serve: thickly sliced banana and honey
- To serve: coarsely chopped roasted hazelnuts (optional)
- 80 gm honey
- 150 ml milk
- 450 ml pouring cream
- 75 gm malted milk powder
- 6 egg yolks
- 30 gm raw caster sugar
- 1For honey-malt ice-cream, cook honey in a saucepan over medium-high heat until caramelised (2-3 minutes), then remove from heat and add milk (be careful, hot caramel will spit). Return to heat, whisk to combine, then add cream and malted milk powder and whisk to combine, then bring just to the simmer. Meanwhile, whisk yolks and sugar in a bowl until pale (3-4 minutes), then pour in cream mixture and whisk to combine. Return to pan and stir continuously over medium heat until mixture thickly coats the back of a wooden spoon (3-4 minutes), then strain into a clean bowl and refrigerate until chilled. Freeze in an ice-cream machine according to manufacturer’s instructions, then freeze until required. Makes about 1 litre.
- 2Preheat oven to 200C. Place butter in a 22cm-diameter ovenproof frying pan and place in oven until butter melts and pan is very hot (2-3 minutes).
- 3Meanwhile, process eggs, milk, flour, hazelnut meal, sugar, nutmeg and lemon rind in a food processor until smooth and combined. Carefully pour into hot pan, return to oven and bake until puffed and golden (12-15 minutes). Serve hot, dusted with icing sugar and topped with banana, honey and honey-malt ice-cream, then scatter with roasted hazelnuts.
This recipe is from the April 2013 issue of Australian Gourmet Traveller.
Drink Suggestion: Black coffee. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm