This simple soup calls for canned cherry tomatoes, but you could substitute fresh tomatoes or canned whole tomatoes and break them up with a wooden spoon.
- 70 ml olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 6 anchovy fillets
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes, or to taste
- 800 gm canned cherry tomatoes
- 120 ml dry white wine
- 2 kg mussels, scrubbed, beards removed
- To serve: coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley and small basil leaves
- 8 thick slices sourdough bread
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, halved
- 1Heat 40ml oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add onion and garlic and stir occasionally until very tender (6-8 minutes), add anchovies and chilli and stir until anchovies dissolve (1 minute). Add tomatoes, season to taste and simmer until thick (6-8 minutes).
- 2Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a separate large saucepan, add wine and mussels, cover and shake pan occasionally until mussels open (3-4 minutes). Strain mussel liquid into tomato mixture, and when cool enough to handle, remove half the mussels from their shells (discard shells) and set aside.
- 3Meanwhile, preheat grill to high heat. Drizzle bread slices with oil and toast, turning once, until golden. Rub with cut-side of garlic, season to taste and keep warm.
- 4Add mussels to tomato mixture, simmer until warmed through, stir through parsley, scatter with basil and serve hot with garlic bruschetta to the side.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Browse All RecipesArtichoke and salted ricotta tart with salsa verdeYesterday 10:00pm