- 1 butternut pumpkin (about 900gm), cut into 2cm pieces
- 30 ml olive oil
- 500 gm ricotta
- 1 egg
- 40 gm (½ cup) finely grated parmesan, plus extra for serving
- 150 gm (1 cup) plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 egg
Mustard and pumpkin seed butter
- 175 gm unsalted butter, coarsely chopped
- 20 gm pumpkin seeds
- 10 gm black mustard seeds
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1Preheat oven to 180C. Place pumpkin in a roasting pan, drizzle with olive oil, season to taste. Cover with foil and cook until pumpkin is tender (45 minutes). Set aside.
- 2Press ricotta through a fine sieve into a large bowl, then combine with egg and parmesan, add nutmeg and season to taste. Set aside.
- 3For pasta dough, place flour in a bowl and make a well in the centre. Add egg, then gradually add 30ml iced water and stir until mixture just comes together. Turn onto a clean work surface and knead until smooth, wrap in plastic wrap until required. Divide dough into 4, then, using a pasta machine with rollers at widest setting and working with one piece at a time, feed dough through the rollers. Fold dough in half lengthways, feed through rollers again, continuing until smooth, feeding and reducing settings notch by notch until translucent and 2mm-thick. Lay sheets side by side and trim ends even. Brush long edges with water and overlap slightly, then press to join edges and form a single piece (about 40cm x 30cm).
- 4Lay pasta sheet on a clean tea towel, then spread ricotta mixture over pasta, leaving a 2cm border. Arrange pumpkin over ricotta and then, with longest side facing you, roll tea towel to form a cylinder and firmly enclose pasta and filling. Secure ends of tea towel with string, then tie at 5cm intervals.
- 5Bring a fish poacher or large wide saucepan of salted water to the boil, place rotolo in pan and simmer gently until pasta is tender (20 minutes). Carefully remove from pan with tongs and stand on chopping board for 5 minutes. Gently unwrap, trim ends, then cut into 5cm-thick slices with a sharp knife.
- 6Meanwhile, for mustard and pumpkin seed butter, heat ingredients in a frying pan until mustard seeds begin to pop.
- 7To serve, place rotolo slices onto plates, drizzle with butter, scatter with extra parmesan and serve immediately.