Here, roasted pumpkin lends a natural sweetness to these salty, savoury rolls.
- 2 tsp dried yeast
- 250 ml (1 cup) milk
- 60 gm butter, finely diced
- 450 gm gm (3 cups) bread flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 500 gm Kent pumpkin, peeled, cut into 1cm thick wedges
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 8 slices of pancetta, diced
- 125 gm taleggio, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
- 2 tbsp pepitas
- 1Preheat oven to 200°C. Combine yeast and 60ml lukewarm water in a bowl.
- 2Meanwhile, heat milk and butter in a small saucepan until butter is just melted and milk is warm but not hot.
- 3Place half the flour and 1 tsp salt in a large bowl. Add yeast mixture, milk mixture and egg, and stir until combined. Add remaining flour and mix until combined. Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic (5-7 minutes; alternatively, mix in an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook.) Place dough in an oiled bowl, cover and set aside in a warm place until doubled in size (1 hour).
- 4Meanwhile, place pumpkin on an oven tray, drizzle with half the oil, toss to coat, season to taste and roast until tender (20 minutes). Reduce oven to 180°C. Line a round pizza tray with baking paper.
- 5Heat remaining oil in a frying pan over high heat. Cook pancetta until golden (2 minutes). Drain on absorbent paper.
- 6Knock back dough, then transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Flatten dough, place pumpkin and pancetta on top, fold in half, then carefully and briefly knead with loose fingers in folding motions so not to break pumpkin up too much.
- 7Divide dough into eight portions. Push a piece of taleggio into each portion, then shape dough into rounds. Place rounds in a wreath shape on lined pizza tray. Dust with a little flour, cover with a clean tea towel and set rolls aside in a warm place until risen slightly (10 minutes).
- 8Brush rolls lightly with egg, sprinkle with pepitas and bake until golden (30 minutes). Cover with foil for the last 10 minutes to prevent over-browning. Serve warm.