It may be French in origin but quiche is a global favourite. We revisit this classic as part of our 50th anniversary celebrations.
- 150 gm speck, coarsely chopped
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 eggs
- 250 ml pouring cream (1 cup)
- ½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 300 gm plain flour, sieved, plus extra for dusting
- 175 gm unsalted butter, coarsely chopped, plus extra for greasing
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp wholegrain mustard
- 100 gm mixed baby leaves
- 1For shortcrust pastry, combine flour and 1 tsp sea salt in a bowl, then rub in butter with your fingertips until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs, or pulse in a food processor. Add egg and mix (or process) until just combined. Turn pastry out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead gently until smooth. Form into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 2-3 hours to rest and chill.
- 2Preheat oven to 200C, and butter and flour a 20cm-diameter loose-bottomed flan tin. Roll pastry on a lightly floured work surface to 5mm thick, line flan tin and refrigerate to rest and chill (20 minutes). Trim pastry, leaving 5mm above rim of tin, prick base with a fork, line with baking paper and blind-bake for 15 minutes. Remove paper and weights, and bake until pastry is golden (10-12 minutes).
- 3Reduce oven to 150C. Fry speck in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat until golden (4-5 minutes). Drain on paper towels, then scatter speck over base of pastry case. Combine egg yolks, eggs, cream and nutmeg in a bowl, season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, whisk to combine, then pour mixture over speck and bake until set (30-40 minutes). Stand to cool briefly (about 10 minutes) before removing quiche from flan tin.
- 4For green salad, whisk olive oil, vinegar and mustard in a bowl and season to taste, then add salad leaves, toss to combine and serve with slices of quiche.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCitrus-cured salmon with horseradish cream and bagelsYesterday 11:00pm
- Fast RecipesChar-grilled capsicum salad with sherry vinaigretteYesterday 11:00pm