Feel free to peel only the largest broad beans; the tender skin on the smaller beans is fine to eat.
- 200 gm quinoa (see note) (1 cup)
- 400 gm podded broad beans (about 1kg unpodded)
- 1 preserved lemon, flesh discarded, rind rinsed and thinly sliced
- 2 cups flat-leaf parsley, coarsely torn (loosely packed)
- 1 cup mint, coarsely torn (loosely packed)
- 70 ml olive oil
- 1Place quinoa in a saucepan, cover with cold water, bring to the simmer over medium heat, cook until tender (10-12 minutes). Drain, rinse under cold running water, drain well, spread on a tray and set aside to dry (10-20 minutes).
- 2Blanch broad beans until tender (1-2 minutes), drain and refresh, then peel (discard skins) and combine with remaining ingredients and quinoa in a large bowl. Gently toss to combine, season to taste and serve.
Note Quinoa is available from select supermarkets and health-food shops.
Drink Suggestion: High-acid herbal white such as the 2007 Teruzzi & Puthod Vernaccia di San Gimignano.