- 1kg small bintje potatoes, scrubbed
- 100 ml olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 200 gm smoked bacon, cut into lardons
- 2 tbsp thyme, plus extra to serve
- 400 gm raclette, thinly sliced (see note)
- To serve: cornichons and pickled onions
Fine herb salad
- 1 cup micro herbs, such as cress (loosely packed)
- ½ cup each dill, flat-leaf parsley and chives (loosely packed)
- 2 tbsp each lemon juice and extra-virgin olive oil
- 1Cook potatoes in boiling salted water until tender (25-35 minutes), drain, cool slightly, peel, coarsely chop and set aside.
- 2Meanwhile, heat half the olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat, add onion and bacon, sauté until onion is tender (10-12 minutes). Remove from pan, set aside, keep warm. Wipe pan clean, increase heat to high, add remaining oil and fry potato in batches until golden and crisp (3-5 minutes). Meanwhile, preheat grill to high heat. Combine potato, onion mixture and thyme in a 2-litre shallow ovenproof serving bowl, scatter with raclette, season to taste and grill until golden and bubbling (3-5 minutes).
- 3Meanwhile, for fine herb salad, combine herbs in a bowl, set aside. Whisk lemon juice and extra-virgin olive oil together in a separate bowl, season to taste and gently toss through salad. Serve with hot raclette, cornichons and pickled onions.
Note Raclette is a semi-hard cheese available from select delicatessens.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesLamb rack with piquillo peppers, rocket and burghulYesterday 5:00am