"We've had this fresh and easy salad on the menu at Burnt Ends since opening," says Dave Pynt. "The trick is to use basic vinegar and basic oil. Seriously. I use basic red wine vinegar and a pomace - or second press - olive oil. Don't be tempted to use fancy stuff. You don't need it."
- 2 heads butter lettuce, quartered
- 4 radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 golden shallots, shaved into rounds on a mandolin
Red wine vinaigrette
- 150 ml olive or grapeseed oil
- 50 ml red wine vinegar
- Caster sugar, to taste
- 1For red wine vinaigrette, whisk oil and vinegar together, then season to taste with sugar and salt.
- 2Arrange lettuce in a bowl or on a platter, top with radish and shallot, season with salt flakes, dress generously with vinaigrette and serve.