This beef fillet is served rare and cold so it can be roasted a day ahead - ideal for summer entertaining.
- 1 large beef fillet (2kg), trimmed
- 900 gm mixed cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 cups mint, coarsely chopped (firmly packed)
- 2 cups coriander (loosely packed)
- 3 red shallots, thinly sliced
- 80 ml lime juice (from about 5 limes) (⅓ cup)
- 50 ml fish sauce
- 1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- ½ tsp roasted chilli powder, or to taste
- 1Preheat oven to 250°C and bring beef to room temperature (30 minutes). Place a heavy tray in the oven to heat. Rub oil all over beef, season to taste, salting the meat well, and place on tray. Roast, turning halfway through cooking, until medium-rare (25 minutes). Rest until completely cooled, then wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate to chill.
- 2For chilli dressing, combine ingredients in a bowl and season to taste.
- 3Thinly slice beef and arrange on a platter. Toss tomatoes, herbs and shallots in a bowl to combine. Add dressing, toss to coat, then scatter salad over beef and serve.