“Sweet braised vegetables with a hint of orange, paired with a runny-yolked egg and sourdough toast – no wonder it’s a classic Niçoise dish,” says Young. When savory is in season, add a sprig or two to the ratatouille.
- 500 ml (2 cups) vegetable oil
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 2cm dice
- 2 large zucchini, cut into 2cm dice
- 1 large red capsicum, cut into 2cm dice
- 50 ml extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra to serve
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 4 ripe tomatoes, cores removed, coarsely chopped
- 1 piece dried orange peel, finely ground in a mortar and pestle or spice grinder
- For poaching: white vinegar
- 4 eggs
- To serve: extra-virgin olive oil, chervil sprigs and grilled sourdough bread
- 1Place vegetable oil in a large saucepan to no more than one-third of the way up the pan, and heat over medium-high heat until just smoking. Add eggplant and fry, stirring occasionally, until golden (4-5 minutes). Remove eggplant with a slotted spoon and drain on absorbent paper. Repeat with zucchini and then capsicum. Discard oil.
- 2Heat extra-virgin olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add onion and garlic and stir occasionally until very tender (8-10 minutes), then add tomato and orange peel and bring to the simmer. Add fried vegetables, stir to combine, reduce heat to low and simmer until very tender (25-30 minutes). Season to taste and keep warm.
- 3Bring a saucepan of water to the simmer over medium heat and add a splash of white vinegar. Crack each egg into a separate teacup and set aside. Swirl the simmering water with a spoon to create a whirlpool, then carefully add an egg at a time and poach until cooked to your liking (3 minutes for soft-poached). Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on absorbent paper.
- 4Top portions of ratatouille with a poached egg, drizzle with oil, scatter with chervil and serve hot with grilled sourdough bread.
This recipe is from the May 2013 issue of .
Drink Suggestion: 2010 Domaine Lathuilière-Gravallon Beaujolais-Villages, Villié-Morgon, France. Drink suggestion by Rebecca Colegrave
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesBeef koftas with green couscous and pistachio nutsYesterday 12:00am