- 40 ml extra-virgin olive oil (2 tbsp)
- 2 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced using a mandolin
- 20 ml lemon-infused extra-virgin olive oil (see note) (1 tbsp)
- 750 gm aged beef fillet, trimmed (about ½)
- 1 cup mint leaves, thinly sliced (loosely packed)
- ½ cup oregano leaves, thinly sliced (loosely packed)
- 1Heat extra-virgin olive oil in a small frying pan over low-medium heat, then add garlic and cook until just golden (about 1 minute). Remove from heat, cool and add lemon oil.
- 2Thinly slice beef fillet across the grain. Working with one piece at a time, place between two pieces of baking paper and, using a rolling pin or meat mallet, pound until very thin. Remove top sheet of paper and holding the other sheet, invert onto a plate and peel paper away. Repeat with remaining beef, then scatter with garlic and herbs and drizzle over oil. Serve with lemon wedges and bread to the side.
Lemon-infused extra-virgin olive oil is available from select delicatessens.
Drink Suggestion: Crisp Portuguese white. Drink suggestion by Max Allen