- 1 large Lebanese cucumber
- 200 gm sashimi-grade yellowfin tuna
- To serve: Avruga caviar (see note)
- To serve: caramelised red wine or caramelised balsamic vinegar (see note)
- 1Slice cucumber lengthways to 3mm-4mm thick (avoiding seeds), then cut each piece widthways into 6cm-long rectangles.
- 2Thinly slice tuna across the grain to 3mm thick, then trim into rectangles the same size as cucumber (reserve scraps and use for tuna tartare or toss raw through pasta, if you like).
- 3Scatter cucumber with a little salt, top each piece with a slice of tuna and a spoonful of Avruga. Drizzle with a little vinegar and serve.
Avruga caviar, the roe of wild herring, is available from fishmongers and select delicatessens. Caramelised red wine vinegar and caramelised balsamic vinegar are available from select delicatessens.
Drink Suggestion: Blanc de blancs sparkling. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Food NewsAnthea Loucas Bosha named CEO of Food and Wine VictoriaYesterday 11:16pm