A Chinese red braise is a wonderful cooking method for all kinds of poultry, including chicken and quail. It keeps meat beautifully juicy, which makes it perfect for the centrepiece Christmas turkey.
- 3 kg turkey
- To serve: thinly sliced spring onion and steamed jasmine rice
- 600 gm radishes, halved lengthways if large
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 250 ml (1 cup) cider vinegar
- 220 gm (1 cup) caster sugar
Red braising stock
- 375 ml Shaoxing wine
- 250 ml (1 cup) dark soy sauce
- 125 ml (½ cup) light soy sauce
- 220 gm (1 cup) yellow rock sugar
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ cup thinly sliced ginger
- 4 spring onions
- ½ tsp peanut oil
- 5 star anise
- 4 pieces of cassia bark
- 1 piece of orange peel
- 1For pickled radishes, place radishes in a large bowl, scatter with salt, toss to coat well and set aside for 1 hour. Meanwhile, stir vinegar and sugar in a saucepan over low heat until sugar dissolves. Refrigerate until required. Rinse radishes under cold water, then place in pickling liquid and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Pickle will keep refrigerated for up to 2 months.
- 2For red braising stock, place all ingredients and 3 litres of water in a large saucepan, bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- 3Add turkey to red braising stock and cook, just simmering, until skin recedes from the end of the legs (about 2 hours). Remove from stock, scatter with spring onion and serve with a little of the stock, steamed rice and pickled radishes.
Drink Suggestion: Bottle-aged sparkling shiraz. Drink suggestion by Max Allen
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCasarecce with pork sausage, cavolo nero and chilliYesterday 6:00am