- 8 red mullet
- 60 ml extra-virgin olive oil (¼ cup)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 head baby fennel, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 80 ml dry white wine (1/3 cup)
- 400 gm canned cherry tomatoes
- 400 gm dried fettuccine
- 40 gm pitted black olives, coarsely chopped (¼ cup)
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- To serve: lemon wedges (optional)
- 1Fillet and pin-bone 6 red mullet, reserving bones. Refrigerate fillets until required. Coarsely chop remaining mullet.
- 2Heat olive oil in a heavy-based saucepan over medium-high heat, add onion, carrot, celery, fennel and garlic and cook for 7-8 minutes or until soft. Add chopped mullet and reserved bones and stir for another minute. Add wine and cook for 4-5 minutes or until reduced by half, add tomatoes and cook for 7-8 minutes or until thick. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Pass mixture through a mouli or pulse in a food processor until coarsely chopped, then press through a sieve, discarding solids. Return mixture to pan, add reserved red mullet fillets and simmer over medium heat for 2 minutes or until fish is just cooked.
- 3Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water until al dente, drain and return to pan. Add red mullet mixture, olives and parsley, toss to coat and serve with lemon wedges.