Rhubarb and this frothy spider combination are a nostalgic way to cool off in summer.
- 1 kg rhubarb, coarsely chopped
- 330 gm (1½ cups) caster sugar
- 2 strips of orange peel
- 50 ml freshly squeezed orange juice
- 3 thin slices ginger (about 2mm thick and 5cm long)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 12 scoops vanilla ice-cream
- 1.6 litres sparkling water or soda water
- 1Combine rhubarb, sugar, orange peel and juice and ginger in a bowl, cover and refrigerate for rhubarb to release juices (2 hours). Transfer to a saucepan, add 375ml water, stir over low heat to dissolve sugar, then bring to the simmer, cover partially and cook until liquid thickens slightly (15-17 minutes). Strain into a bowl through a fine sieve lined with muslin, pressing on solids (discard solids or reserve to make compote). Return to heat and reduce by a quarter over medium-high heat (15-20 minutes). Stir in lemon juice, then refrigerate in a sterile jar. Makes about 500ml. Will keep for up to a month.
- 2Place ice-cream in chilled glasses, add rhubarb syrup, top up with sparkling water and serve.