- 2 bunches of rhubarb, trimmed
- 110 gm raw caster sugar (½ cup)
- 3 cardamom pods, bruised
- 2 oranges
- 150 gm honey, plus extra to serve
- 350 gm mascarpone
- 1 vanilla bean, scraped seeds only
- 8 thick slices of sourdough bread
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten with ¼ cup milk
- 60 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 1Cut two-thirds of the rhubarb into 2cm pieces, place in a colander, rinse under cold water and shake off excess. Combine in a heavy-based saucepan with sugar and cardamom. Add three pieces of orange rind removed with a peeler and juice of 1½ oranges. Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves, then simmer until rhubarb is tender and mixture is jammy (about 15 minutes). Remove from heat, discard cardamom and peel, and cool.
- 2Meanwhile, preheat oven to 200C. Cut remaining rhubarb into 5cm pieces and place in a single layer on an oven tray. Drizzle with 50gm honey and squeeze over juice of remaining half orange. Roast until just tender and glazed (about 15 minutes), keep warm.
- 3Combine mascarpone, vanilla seeds and remaining honey in a bowl. Mix until smooth.
- 4Pour egg mixture into a shallow tray and set aside. Spread one side of each bread slice thickly with mascarpone mixture, then with rhubarb jam. Place slices bread-side down into egg mixture and stand until bread absorbs a little of the mixture (about 1 minute). Heat half the butter in a large frying pan over medium until butter foams. Add half the prepared bread, bread-side down, and cook until golden (about 2 minutes). Transfer to a baking paper-lined oven tray. Repeat with remaining bread, then bake until warmed through (about 5 minutes). Serve immediately with roast rhubarb drizzled with extra honey.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Food NewsAnthea Loucas Bosha named CEO of Food and Wine VictoriaYesterday 11:16pm