Fruit compote in a sugar-flecked sweet crust? It's a hard act to beat. When it comes to dessert, everyone will want a piece of the pie.
- 435 gm sheet vanilla bean shortcrust pastry (see note)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten with 1 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp demerara sugar
- For dusting: pure icing sugar
- To serve: vanilla ice-cream
Rhubarb and strawberry compote
- 1 kg rhubarb (about 2 bunches), washed and cut into 3cm pieces
- 500 gm strawberries (2 punnets), hulled and some halved, some left whole
- 440 gm (2 cups) caster sugar
- Juice and finely grated rind of 1 orange
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cinnamon quills
- 150 gm almond meal
- 1For rhubarb and strawberry compote, toss rhubarb and strawberries with sugar in a bowl and stand to soften and release their juices (20-25 minutes). Place in a saucepan, add juices, rind and cinnamon, and simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until almost tender (6-8 minutes). Set aside to soften (5 minutes). Strain liquid into a clean saucepan and return cinnamon quills. Transfer fruit to a large bowl, then gently stir in almond meal and set aside.
- 2Bring fruit cooking liquid to the boil and cook until reduced to a thick syrup (20-25 minutes).
- 3Meanwhile, preheat oven to 180C. Place pastry on a sheet of baking paper and trim edges to fit a 25cm (4-cup) pie tin with edges overhanging, and line the tin. Cut remaining pastry into 1.5cm-wide strips (use a crinkle cutter for fancy edges) and refrigerate to firm slightly. Pour fruit into pastry case, brush edges with eggwash and arrange pastry strips on top in a lattice pattern. Trim edge, brush top with eggwash, scatter with demerara sugar and bake until golden (50 minutes to 1 hour; cover edges with foil if pastry browns too quickly).
- 4Dust pie with icing sugar and serve with vanilla ice-cream drizzled with warm rhubarb-cinnamon syrup.
Note We use Carême Vanilla Bean Sweet Pastry, which comes in 435gm sheets, but substitute any quality shortcrust pastry if it's unavailable.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Browse All RecipesArtichoke and salted ricotta tart with salsa verdeYesterday 10:00pm