- 400 gm rhubarb, cut into 2cm lengths
- 3 pink lady apples, peeled, cored and cut into wedges
- 110 gm raw caster sugar (½ cup)
- 40 gm honey
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 1 lemon, juiced
Buttermilk and cinnamon pastry
- 150 gm self-raising flour (1 cup)
- 30 gm raw sugar
- 1½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 50 gm butter, coarsely chopped
- 90 ml buttermilk, plus extra for brushing
- To serve: pouring cream
- 1Preheat oven to 190C. Rinse rhubarb, drain and transfer to a bowl. Add apple, sugar, honey, cornflour and lemon juice and stir to combine, then place in a 1.5 litre capacity ovenproof dish.
- 2For buttermilk and cinnamon pastry, process flour, 2 tbsp sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon, butter and 1 tsp sea salt in a food processor until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add buttermilk and process until mixture forms a dough, then transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Roll out to 4mm thick and, using a 7cm-diameter pastry cutter, cut out rounds and arrange over rhubarb mixture, overlapping slightly. Brush tops with a little extra buttermilk. Combine remaining sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl, scatter over pastry and bake for 45-50 minutes or until fruit is bubbling and pastry is golden and risen. Serve with pouring cream.