- 500 gm basmati rice
- 2 tbsp ground ginger
- 2 tbsp ground allspice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 100 gm vermicelli noodles, coarsely broken into pieces
- 50 gm ghee (5 tbsp)
- 20 gm barberries, rinsed and soaked in cold water for 5 minutes (see note)
- 100 gm flaked almonds, pan fried in olive oil until golden
- 1Rinse basmati rice under cold running water until water runs clear, then soak in salted cold water for at least 2 hours. Heat oil in a saucepan, add vermicelli and cook, stirring and breaking up with a spoon, over medium heat for 10 minutes or until noodles turn dark brown, then set aside.
- 2In a wide pot, combine rice, spices and enough water to cover rice by 15mm. Cover pot and bring to the boil over medium-high heat. Add noodles to rice, stir to combine, cover and cook on low heat for 12 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice tender.
- 3Melt ghee in a frying pan over medium heat, add drained barberries and sauté until warmed through. Fold almonds through rice, spoon into a bowl, scatter over barberries and serve.
Note Barberries are sour red berries used in Middle Eastern cooking. They're available from Middle Eastern and specialty food stores.
The Latest from Gourmet Traveller
- Fast RecipesCasarecce with pork sausage, cavolo nero and chilliYesterday 6:00am