“This pudding also works well for breakfast with yoghurt, poached fruit and lots of cups of coffee,” says Robertson.
- 100 gm (½ cup) black quinoa (see note)
- 200 gm (1 cup) black glutinous rice (see note)
- 4 cloves
- 2 each star anise and cinnamon quills
- 1.5 litres (6 cups) milk
- 600 ml pouring cream
- 2 vanilla beans, split, seeds scraped
- 120 gm brown sugar
- 1½ tbsp each chia seeds, linseed and pumpkin seeds (see note)
- 1Dry-roast quinoa in a wide saucepan over low-medium heat (1 minute), add black rice and dry-roast (30 seconds), add orange juice, rind and spices and simmer until juice evaporates (2-3 minutes). Add milk, cream, vanilla and a pinch of salt and bring to the simmer over high heat. Reduce heat to low and stir occasionally until rice is tender (1 hour). Add brown sugar and cook until rice is very tender and not too wet (15 minutes).
- 2Meanwhile, dry-roast chia seeds, linseed and pumpkin seeds in a frying pan over medium heat (1-2 minutes).
- 3Stir seeds into rice mixture, transfer to bowls, scatter with caster sugar, caramelise with a blowtorch or under a hot grill and serve.
Black quinoa, black glutinous rice, chia seeds, linseed and pumpkin seeds are available from select health-food shops.
This recipe is from the August 2012 issue of
Drink Suggestion: Montevecchio moscato. Drink suggestion by Shannon Debreceny & Jeff Bennett